Here is a step-by-step guide to help you to get a CPA license in Utah.
Step 1. Complete Your Education
a. Firstly, find and contact the institutions in Utah that offer accounting programs to get information. All the certified accountants must meet the educational criteria of the Utah Board of Accountancy. It includes a bachelor’s degree consisting of at least 150 semester hours of college credit and a bachelor’s degree.
b. Also, make sure that the program which you are planning to take is acceptable to the Utah Board of Accountancy.
c. Enroll in courses that can get you college credit. There are four ways to become a CPA in Utah:
- Obtain a master’s degree in accounting
- Get an AACSB or ACBSP-accredited master’s degree in taxation or a master’s degree in business administration (MBA)
- Receive a bachelor’s degree in business or accounting
- Earn a bachelor’s or master’s degree in any field
If you got credit for correspondence, CLEP, online, or CPA assessment courses from an approved institution, they can be accepted.
Community college classes are acceptable as long as they pass to an approved four-year institution where you received your degree.
Step 2. Pass The Uniform CPA Exam
Once you have gained 135 semester hours of the total requirement of 150 and get a bachelor’s degree, you can take the Uniform CPA Examination.
- Firstly, apply for the exam directly via the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy’s (NASBA) CPA Examination Services (CPAES). You can register online or download application forms. And also you need to provide the following documents:
- Original college transcript, proving that you have a bachelor’s degree it must be mailed directly from the institution
- If applicable, fill in the form for any examination accommodations required by the Americans with Disabilities Act
- If you’ve passed one or more portions of the CPA Exam in another jurisdiction, you’ll need to fill out an Authorization for Interstate Exchange of Information form. This must be sent directly from the state board where the test was taken
- If you have credits from a foreign school, you must submit a completed Foreign Evaluation
- Payment of exam and application fees
- When they approve your application, you will get the Notice to Schedule (NTS) the Uniform CPA Exam. You will get it by mail, fax, or email.
- In order to make an appointment for the exam in Utah visit the Prometric testing center website.
- So, the next step is to come to the testing center on time and take the exam.
- Finally, you will get your Uniform CPA Exam result note by mail.
Step 3. Get The Necessary Experience.
As one of the requirements for a Utah CPA license, you need to complete the work experience:
- Complete the Home Study Course on Professional Ethics offered by the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA). Which must be passed with a score of 90 percent or higher and also provide the certificate. Get information about this here.
- Take the Utah Laws and Rules Exam. Register online via PSI Examination Services
- Complete the required the Utah Board of Accountancy accounting experience:
- It is necessary to have a minimum of one year of accounting experience.It should be in this in this conditions:
- Volunteer or paid accounting experience
- Auditing and accounting skills and concepts learned in widely recognized formal accounting education
- A licensed certified public accountant
This training must be recorded on the Certification for Accounting Experience for Licensure as a CPA form contained in the CPA licensure application packet by the certified CPA supervisor.
Step 4. Get Your Utah CPA License.
So, if you’ve passed the exam and have got the work experience, then it is time to get your license to work as a CPA. Double-check to make sure that you have done everything and are completely ready. Here is the list of Utah CPA license requirements list:
- Have a bachelor’s degree and 150 education hours
- Take the Uniform CPA Examination and have corresponding documents
- Take the AICPA’s home-study ethics course
- Pass the Utah Laws and Rules Exam and have the official letter
- Send official college transcripts to the Utah Board of Accountancy
- Fill in the Certification of Accounting Experience for Licensure form, ask your verifying CPA to sign it, and send it to the Board
- Pay the application fee
You can apply for a Utah CPA License through the Application for Licensure. Next, send your application and all the documents by mail.
Interstate Reciprocal License
If you have a license from another state but want to work as a CPA in Utah, you need to meet all of the requirements of a CPA certificate holder in Utah.
5. Maintain your Utah CPA license through Continuing Professional Education.
In order to keep your CPA certificate in Utah, you need to meet the state’s continuing professional education (CPE) requirements annually:
- Complete a total of 80 hours of continuing professional education (CPE) every 2 years
- Take Board-approved subject matter
- Ensure to complete accepted format CPE programs
- You need to save all the records of the CPE that you took in 5 years after completing the course.