Just like any other state Utah requires vehicle operators to have a driver license.
Utah Driver License Requirements
Requirements to obtain a driver’s license in Utah:
If you are 16 years old and want to apply for a valid Utah driver license, you must have the followings:
- You need to provide the Utah learner permit for 6 months
- People under 18 years old must have the following documents:
- You need to provide proof of a prior driver license or
- You need to provide proof of a driver education
People, who are younger than 19 years old must have the following documents:
- Firstly, you need to provide 2 proofs of Utah residence
- Secondly, you need to provide proof of identification
- Thirdly, you need to provide the social security number
- Lastly, you need to provide Legal lawful presence
You can check here, in order to understand what kind of documents means proof.
Classes of Driver License in Utah
Class A License
This class of license allows people to drive any combination of motor vehicles with a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating of 26.001 pounds or more. And the towed motor vehicle must be more than 10.000 pounds.
Class B License
This class of license is for a person who wants to drive any single motor vehicle with a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating of 26.001 pounds or more. It includes a motor vehicle, which can tow a vehicle with a GVWR. 10.000 pounds or less.
Class C License
This class of license allows you to drive a motor vehicle with a GVWR of under 26.001 pounds. You can tow a motor vehicle with a GVWR of 10.000 pounds or less in some cases, which you can see below:
- If it is used to transport more than 15 people including a driver
- If it is used for a school bus
- If it is designed to transport hazardous materials
Class D License
This type of license is a regular driver’s license. It allows you to drive a motor vehicle, which is not a commercial motor vehicle. The driver having class D cannot drive a motor vehicle with 15 people, if he/she doesn’t have a commercial driver license.
Costs for Driver License in Utah
- For getting an original Class D license (includes over 65) total payment is $52.00
- For getting the original Class D provisional license total payment is $39.00
- For getting original motorcycle endorsement total payment is $18.00
- For getting original taxicab endorsement total payment is $14.00
- For getting lapsed/renewal Class D total payment is $52.00
- For getting lapsed/renewal Class D provisional total payment is $52.00
- For getting lapsed/renewal Class D (65 and older) total payment is $27.00
- For getting original Class D limited-term total payment of $32.00
- For getting original Class D provisional limited-term- total $39.00
- For getting renewal Class D limited-term total payment is $32.00
- For getting renewal Class D provisional limited-term total payment is $39.00
- For getting lapsed/renewal Class D provisional limited-term total payment is $39.00
Renewal of Driver License in Utah
You can get an email, which will remind you about the renewal. You will receive it 90 days before the expiration date. But you have a chance to do it online.
If you want you can renew your driver license before six months of its expiration, but for that, you have the steps to follow:
- At first, you need to fill the application and take it with you
- Then you must make an appointment for the visit
- Thirdly, you must have your photo taken
- Fourthly, you need to pass the eye vision test
- After this, you need to provide your current Utah driver’s license
- If you have changed your Utah residence address from what was on your driver’s license, you need to provide two documents of your new residence address in Utah
- And lastly, you need to pay the nonrefundable fee, which is $52.00
The License renewal is for eight years and it will expire on the day of your 8th birthday.
If everything is successfully done, you will receive a temporary driver’s license on the same day and the completed one they will mail to you in approximately 4-6 weeks.
Expired Driver License in Utah
The driver’s license expires on the date listed on your driver’s license. If your driver’s license is valid for 6 years, so it must be renewed at every 6 years interval. The expiration date will be on your birth date.
Always check the expired date, in order not to allow it to expire. You can renew your driver’s license before six months of its expiration. It is against the law if you drive a car with a valid license. If your driver’s license expires for more than six months, for getting a new one you must start from the beginning. You must apply again and retake all exams.
Change a name on the driver’s license
When people marry and change their names, they should change it on other documents including a driver’s license. So, for changing your name on the driver’s license, you must notify the Department of Motor Vehicle in your state. You cannot do it online or via mail.
When you go to the DMV office, you must provide the followings:
- Firstly, the driver’s license, which has your former name on it
- Proof of name change is necessary. A marriage certificate or divorce paper can work for the proof document.
- Thirdly, a completed application for another driver’s license
- And lastly a fee for the name change.
Required tests for getting a driver’s license
If you want to apply for getting a driver’s license, you must take tests, but it varies by age and if you have had a driving license in another state.
But here are the tests in general:
- The first one is the Eye test
- The second one is the Knowledge test, which you must writte
- The third one is the Road test
Transfer of a driver’s license in Utah
If you have a driver license of another state and want to transfer it to a Utah driver’s license, you must follow these steps:
You should visit the Utah Driver License Division office near you. Provide the below-mentioned documents:
- Firstly, you must provide your current out-of-state license
- Then you must complete the Driver License Application
- You must provide proof of Identity and Legal Status Verification
- You must provide Utah residency or mailing verification, but it is different than the current Utah Driver license record, you must provide two.
- Then you must provide Social Security Verification
- And Lastly, if you have name change documents, you must provide them.
- You should also have your picture taken, surrender the out-of-state driver’s license.
- Pay the nonrefundable fee, which is $52.00
- You must pass a vision and any other required tests.