Utah Contractor License Classifications

Utah Contractor License Classifications

To start your career as a contractor in Utah, you must know which license is suitable for you. Before going into details, you should know that the State of Utah requires a license if you carry out field-related work. It can pertain to repairs, building, demolition, or alteration of any sort of construction. This means, pretty much anyone who performs constructor-related tasks should own a license. To obtain it, you must meet all the criteria set by the Department of Commerce Division of Professional and Occupational Licensing. This body has also set its Utah contractor license classifications so that everyone performs the work he is qualified for.

Do you want to learn about Utah contractor license classifications? There are primarily two contractor license categories. Each of them is divided into classifications and subclassifications. So, you will need to figure out which one you need. You may as well get info about other states, for example, Nevada.

I have done all the research so that it could be easier for you to find the right category. In this article, I will make sure to uncover all the primary classes. So, let’s get started!

General Builder Classification

The government in UT regulates the following classifications for qualified persons. Consequently, let’s discuss each in a separate paragraph.

(B100) General

According to the state legislature, a general contractor of the building is someone, who fits to deliver the following responsibilities:

  • Constructing different structures for the support
  •  Carrying out a job of the needed components of the same dwelling

Remember that general contractor is not permitted to work on projects involving certain trades. For instance, plumbing, electrical or mechanical labor. Moreover, limitations can also apply to works related to the operating integrity of an elevator and manufactured home installation. For these specialty trades, general contractors should hire someone who is licensed in that particular specialty.

(R100) Residential/Small Commercial

This license is offered to those with experience, as well as knowledge to carry out the following duties:

  • Build single-family residences or multi-family residences that have up to 4 units
  • Perform commercial construction of not more than 3 stories above the ground and not more than 20,000 square feet. However, for the plumbing, mechanical, or electrical works a contractor licensed in that specialty should carry out the project.

(E100) General Engineering

This term refers assumes performing the following constructional fixed works:

  • irrigation
  • drainage
  • power
  • water supply
  • flood control
  • inland waterways

Additionally, they can also work on railroads, avenues, tunnels, airports, runways, and bridges. Apart from these, a piece of functional engineering knowledge and ability is needed to implement works on chemical and industrial plants.

(P200) General Plumbing

This category applies to plumbers who have knowledge, skill, or expertise:

  • To install or fabricate materials that will support a sanitary environment of the manufacture. Therefore, they are responsible to equip materials for the long-term supply of clean and drinking water.
  • To remove completely the used or polluted water for the safety of residents’ health
  • To deliver gases that will serve the aim of heating and lighting or any other intention

(P201) Residential Plumbing

There is only one difference between this and the above-mentioned classification. So, the P201 applies to those plumbers who want to work only on residential construction.

(E200) General Electrical

E200 defines contractors who construct or install raceways, generators, etc. Additionally, many responsibilities such as installation on panels, switchgear, electrical wires, and appliances will be applicable. They can also install apparatus that uses electrical energy.

(E201) Residential Electrical

The applicant for E201 performs the development of the structure, fabrication, or installation of different services. Among other tasks, they can disconnect or fix means of supply, grounding systems, appliances in a residential unit.

Specialty Classification

Utah’s State legislature defines the candidate of specialties as someone qualified to do trades and crafts that will mandate specialized skills. The regulation of such specialties must be under safety and public health. Several subclasses may have separate skills and exam requirements and that’s why these categories have individual classification. Here are all the primary trades for contractors seeking a license in that specific specialty:

  • Modular unit installer
  • Repair and remodeling specialist
  • Housing of factory-built
  • Boiler installation
  • Carpentry
  • Grading or excavation
  • HVAC
  • Refrigeration
  • Sign installation
  • Wood flooring

(B200) Modular Unit Installer

The B200 installer can be assigned to do tasks on different types of structures. It is either on a temporary or continuing basis. Additionally, contractors in this trade can perform tasks such as placing the modular units on various structures and attaching units.


The R101 defines all the works that can include remodeling or repair for any type of building. There shouldn’t be any alteration to the bearing parts of the existing construction. To add up, the project, in total, should be less than fifty thousand dollars.

(R200) Housing of Factory Built

This, in short, is for setup or installation of the built construction. Note that it includes removal or disconnection of certain systems as well. R200 housing workers choose to be both permanent and short-term employees.

(S211) Boiler Installation

This one, on the other hand, enables to install or assemble fire and water tubes. It also allows placing power boilers or boilers for hot water heating.

(S220) Carpentry

Authorized carpenters should manufacture or repair various building frameworks. By the application of wood, plastic, or metal combo, they can perform works on building or housing.

(S310) Grading and Excavation

Occupational duties for the S310 class will suggest excavating surfaces or setting some materials on the earth’s surface. The tasks are done by the use of tools, power machinery, or hands. Explosives may also be applicable for different operational purposes, such as cutting, grading, filling, or excavating.

(S350) HVAC

Heating, ventilation, and air conditioning specialists fabricate and install these components on any building. Furthermore, they install entire air conditioning and ventilating systems.

(S360) Refrigeration

So, S360 specialists in refrigeration construct and/or set up any refrigeration appliances. They should also fix functioning problems relevant to refrigerators.

(S440) Sign Installer

In short, qualified installers put the signs or graphic ads.

(S490) Wood Flooring

Wood flooring professionals who want to carry out the installation of wood flooring can consider applying for this classification. This may include labor on unfinished or finished materials. Among other assignments, employees can also sand, stain, or finish new or old wood flooring.

Mary H

Mary H

Being a skilled creative writer and SEO content writer, with 2+ years of experience I can't imagine any other profession to fulfill my life as much as writing does. As a proud member of geek culture, I enjoy reading, writing, watching Sci-Fi gems, while also advocating the involvement of young, bright-minded girls and women in STEM research. Latter was largely the result of working at UNESCO Chair, Life Sciences International Postgraduate Educational Center as an editor of scientific journals.