Utah Contractor License

Utah Contractor License

If you decided to work as a contractor in Utah, it’s necessary to know the state-specific requirements, laws & regulations applied exclusively in the state, the process of obtaining your contractor’s license, or any other vital information to do your work legally.

Here, we will discuss topics such as: how to get your general contractor’s license, the necessity of obtaining a contractor’s license in Utah, the expenses of licensing and registration, means of online licensee lookup, and more.

How do I get a general contractor’s license in Utah?

As Utah Code  58-55-301 states, the general building contractor is an individual who is “qualified by education, training, experience, and knowledge to perform or superintend the construction of structures for the support, shelter, and enclosure of persons, animals, chattels, or movable property of any kind…”

This means that general contractors can perform any type of construction works if the work doesn’t include any trade. The specialty trades are plumbing, electrical or mechanical, works on elevators, manufactured housing installations. In this case, the general contractor needs to hire a licensed contractor in the particular specialty.

In Utah, to conduct contracting works one should be licensed otherwise the person will face penalties and fines under Class A misdemeanor. To operate your contracting business in the state typically you will carry out the following steps:

  • Register your business with the Utah Department of Commerce’s Division of Corporations and Commercial code
  • Pass the PSI examinations
  • Complete the contractor application packet
  • Get proper insurance
  • Pay the required fees

The state-approved requirements of general contractor’s license in Utah

There are 23 contractor types with the license classifications which is recognized by the state under 58-55-301 Utah code such as:

  • Residential plumbing contractor
  • General building contractor
  • The residential and small commercial contractor
  • Elevator contractor
  • General engineering contractor
  • General plumbing contractor

Prior to your contractor’s license application make sure you meet all the Utah licensure requirements which we have outlined below:

  • Complete the pre-licensing course. You should complete 25-hours pre-licensing course either with the Utah Home Builders Association (UHB) or Associated General Contractors of Utah (AGC).
  • Register your business entity. If your business structure is a corporation, LLC, LLP, or partnership you must register with the Utah Divisions of Corporations
  • Obtain federal EIN from IRS (Employer Identification Number). When registering your business you should obtain EIN from Internal Revenue Service
  • Get General Liability Insurance. Every applicant should have general liability insurance with minimum coverage of $100,000 for each incident and $300,000 in total coverage. The Department of Occupational and Professional Licensing (DOPL) should be listed as the certificate holder.
  • Indicate 2 years of construction work experience. The state requires to have 2 years (4,000 hours) of building construction experience in the past 10 years

In addition to the outlined requirements you should also provide the following documents if your contracting business has employees:

  • Worker’s compensation insurance
  • Registration with the  Utah Tax Commission for state withholding tax
  • Unemployment insurance obtained through the Utah Department of Workforce Services

If you want to search for the licensees or license information you can utilize the Utah Licensee Lookup and Verification System by entering the name or profession or by the license number.

Do you need a contractor’s license in Utah?

Pretty much anyone who conducts contracting works such as construction, repair, alteration, or demolition on any type of building in Utah should hold a contractor’s license. To apply for a license, besides the above-mentioned requirements you should also take the following steps as a part of the application process. The contractor’s licensure in Utah demands to:

  • Pass the PSI UT B-100 General Building and Contractor and Utah Construction Business and Law examinations. The first one will take 3 hours to complete with 80 questions in total and you should score a minimum of 70% while the business & law exam will take 2 hours and will be issued via computer.
  • Pay all the required fees. PSI UT B-100 General Building and Contractor exam fee is $72 while the Construction Business & Law exam fee is $75. In addition to the examination fees, you should also pay $70 for business registration, $225 for a new application (includes 1 classification and 1 qualifier), and $175 for every additional classification.
  • Submit personal information along with your application. In your license application, you will be asked to provide your business legal name, DBA, mail address, and phone number. Additionally, you must also sign the affidavit to be a qualified contractor, indicate your financial responsibility statement. Make sure to include information about the qualifier, show proof of construction work experience and insurance, and more.

What is the easiest contractor’s license to get in Utah?

If you hold a B100 or general building contractor’s license in Utah you will have the opportunity to perform any kind of works on a building or structure. This involves building, remodeling, repairing, etc. If your project is small you may consider obtaining the residential and small commercial contractor’s license.

Mary H

Mary H

Being a skilled creative writer and SEO content writer, with 2+ years of experience I can't imagine any other profession to fulfill my life as much as writing does. As a proud member of geek culture, I enjoy reading, writing, watching Sci-Fi gems, while also advocating the involvement of young, bright-minded girls and women in STEM research. Latter was largely the result of working at UNESCO Chair, Life Sciences International Postgraduate Educational Center as an editor of scientific journals.